Friday, December 9, 2011

Bo's Update 12/9/11 8:15 a.m.

No news is good news.

I spoke with Dr. Sullivan yesterday afternoon, and Bo seems to be doing much better. When I say "better", I mean "better" as in not going backwards. He still has pneumonia, his throat is still swollen and agitated, he is still breathing through a tracheotomy tube, and he still has no neurological response in his back legs. However, we will take victories wherever we can find them at this point, and not losing ground is a "win" in my book.

He had an "episode" around 11:00 a.m. yesterday while they were cleaning out some of the fluids from his lungs. Bo's surgeon had to come in to re-position his tracheotomy tube. Dr. Sullivan said she was about to give us a call, but the situation worked itself out. I am glad she didn't, because the call would have been a point where we would have to make a decision to stop all of his suffering.

In the meantime, the doctors and staff have been working hard to figure out what is causing so much distress for my little Bo. They think they have narrowed it down to his body temperature. Because of the pneumonia, and surgeries, and ... well ... everything the poor little guy has gone through, he is running a slight fever. His "overheating" is causing him to want to pant. When he can't pant (say that 3 times fast, "wan't pant can't pant") he gets agitated and gets worked up to a critical state. For the time being the staff is using water and wet towels to try and keep him cool in the hopes that this keeps him calm.

And it seems to have worked. For the first time since this started I did not receive a single phone call all night. It's so funny how uplifting it is to NOT receive a phone call. On the other hand, it's not funny that I have a heart attack (figuratively, since we are talking about medical stuff here and I don't want to scare anyone) whenever my phone rings now, even if it's just a friend calling to check in on me and Bo.

That's it for now. I slept for the first time last night, and I hope my little Bo got some sleep as well.

1 comment:

  1. I hope this means your little man is turning the corner! More prayers coming your way!

    (Bear's mom)

    ReplyDelete